Monday, January 15, 2018

Living As A Disciplined Peacemaker - Pastoral Thoughts On Political Banter

For many years, while I lived as a Christian, I evaded a call to ministry that I knew deep in my heart I needed to embrace.  After a period where I was in Jonah-like flight from my calling, the Lord used painful but effective means to capture my attention and redirect me to acknowledge and pursue my calling. 

Once I embraced the call, I truly began my life as a follower of Jesus, and took great care in how I approached that call and conducted my life. One area that demanded and still demands on-going wisdom and care is the area of political commentary.  I have observed that preachers are often been called upon to endorse candidates or political parties, or to "anoint" a personality as "God's person" of the hour, extending a specific blessing or curse towards someone based on a policy position or stance. I resist such endorsements and refuse to use inflammatory language towards someone I do not necessarily admire. 

I won't speak to the spiritual condition of public figures when I don't know them personally, and especially when their standing is ambiguous or "shape-shifting." I will, at times, comment on situations or issues that arise when I believe it is necessary for Gospel clarity and when I believe it might be of benefit to others.

I refrain from general political commentary and exercise care in taking part in many discussions because of the incendiary nature of many of these "discussions" and I have not found such "discussions" to be particularly helpful, edifying or informative. If I do comment or address a specific issue I attempt to take great care in respecting others regardless of their stances or positions because I am commanded, as are all believers, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (Romans 12:18).

I also try to keep in mind that written and verbal statements now remain easily accessible for perpetuity. It is therefore prudent to make sure that one's statements accurately represent what one truly believes and reflect, at the very least, an attempt at exercising care for one's message and respect for the opinions of others.

More than anything, I attempt to stay on mission, encouraging and loving others while applying this Scriptural reminder to my life and practice:
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God (Micah 6:8).

And so, in faith, I press on, seeking to live a disciplined, peacemaking life!




No comments: