Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 17 of 40 Days of Prayer: Be A Servant - The Sledgehammer School of Learning

I met Mr. Tom Petty the 1st semester of my first year in seminary.  He needed help unloading an old Toyota pickup he called “Doulos II” that was loaded with fresh vegetables for the cafeteria.  After I finished helping me, he asked me if I was interested in coming alongside him for ministry training.  I was delighted, as Mr. Petty was known far and wide as someone deeply committed to ministry and an excellent disciple-maker.  He seemed satisfied and told me to meet him at his home where my instruction would begin early Saturday morning.  He told me to dress very casually.  “Definitely my type of guy!” I thought to myself.

I arrived at Mr. Petty’s house bright and early that Saturday morning.  He was waiting for me and greeted me warmly with a friendly handshake.  He handed me a pair of work gloves and pointed me to a sledgehammer laying at the end of a very long and uneven concrete path. “Sam.” He began with his soft-spoken Southern gentlemanly drawl, “I want you to bust up this concrete for me.  It will probably take all day.”

It took all day.  I stopped only for lunch and a few water breaks, and by the end of the day, had busted up all the concrete, and was soaked with sweat from the late summer South Carolina sun.  I was also furious.  “I came here to minister!” I thought to myself. “And this joker has me doing his manual labor for him!”  As if he had read my mind, Mr. Petty put his hand on my shoulder and said, “If you want to minister, you must learn how to serve!” “Wax on, wax off!”  I thought. “I’m training with a Southern, Christian version of Mr. Miyagi!” 

I wasn’t far off target! For the next 5 years I spent in Columbia, Mr. Petty taught me how to serve, assigning me countless tasks, great and small, all focused on serving others.  Many of them were extremely physically challenging and time consuming.  Being ready to serve anytime, anywhere also made me available to rub elbows with some fantastic leaders and allowed me have some very visible moments of ministry with the Governor of South Carolina, leaders in Washington, D.C. and opened the door for me to take part in a special mission to the Philippines that was a truly life-changing experience!


A great classic from the 60’s was titled, “If I had a Hammer” citing the great changes the singer would make with his world changing instrument of justice and freedom.   Well, I had a hammer, and it enabled me to begin a journey of learning through the school of sweat and elbow-grease, teaching me what serving truly means.  Jesus said, “The one who wishes to be greatest among you, must be servant of all.”  I am still learning lessons in service, but know that the Heavenly Father calls His children not to Lord over others, but to kneel and serve.  Help me, Lord, to keep carrying my hammer, continuing to serve and to be a blessing for others!


No comments: