Monday, January 15, 2018

Day 16 of 40 Days of Prayer: Yes! When It Hurts the Most , Be A Peacemaker!

On the night I began preparing this devotional thought, my daughter shared an experience of personal and racial insult that had been directed towards her that fired the fury within me.  As I shared my angst through posting and contemplated how I might deal with the situation, I remembered the subject at hand – Be A Peacemaker!

As I considered Biblical ammunition that would support a more martial approach to conflict resolution, “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under Heaven. A time of war…” I also remembered the words of Jesus in Luke Chapter 6,  “Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil… Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.”  Soon thereafter, Jesus’ words in the Sermon on the Mount came to mind, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” 

It occurred to me that the most important time to act like a Child of God, is when people call you everything BUT a child of God!  When the conflict is most intense, the need for peace is most acute.  The Bible is clear, when conflict arises, peacemakers must rise up as well, ready to combat hostility with truth, love, forgiveness, resilience and joy.  After sharing, Victoria invited me to pay a game of indoor catch while we swap stories and discuss matters of import.  Our time was cathartic and allowed me to renew my thoughts and regain my resolve to answer hatred with loving compassion.


It is the peacemakers that Jesus said bear unmistakable resemblance to the Heavenly Father.  The best time to display traits of the family of God is when the heat is on!  Let us obey His commands to love our enemies and pray for those who provoke and disparage us, “that [we] may be children of [our] Father in heaven.”


No comments: