Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Election Ahead! - Don't worry! Get Peace!

The uncertainties related to the upcoming US election are somewhat unsettling.  The debate has not alleviated my concerns in the slightest.  As a result, I am finding it easy to lapse into worry about a matter that is very important and that does call for my engagement of it, yet the outcome of which is beyond my ultimate control.  As I consider the tension of this time, I am reminded of an earlier life situation when, on a faith mission, I found myself in a moment of great pressure.

In the midst of an outreach mission outside of the United States, our team leader and host stopped the vehicle turned to all of us on his team and said, "I don't know if you believed me in my correspondence to you, but we could be misunderstood, attacked and killed here.  If we are attacked, and I'm killed, don’t stay for my body. Escape and carry on with the mission. It's of more importance than me! But, if this is too difficult for any of you to handle, anyone who feels so inclined can stop here and now and head back to safety. But the mission will continue with those of us who are willing!"

The safety of non-engagement was very tempting!  While it might have preserved my temporary angst, it wouldn’t have abated my worry or solved the long-term problems we were seeking to address.  The Bible has advice for these types of situations that helps to dispel the paralysis of worry and fear:   Philippians 4:6 and 7 says, “…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  That verse gave me confidence to proceed in that time of potential danger in Christian service and it gives me peace now in the uncertainty of a national election. 

I have experienced God's peace in other times of uncertainty and it is available to all that will seek Him now as well. I will do my best to work for the the good and to pray about everything, including the election, knowing that God’s peace is available to me whatever the outcome.  After all, in the words of perhaps my favorite childhood church song, “He’s got the whole world in His hands - including the good ol' USA and its elections!” 




No comments: