Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Don't Wait to Encourage Others

This week, I learned of the unexpected death of a comrade and mourned anew for the recent passing of a dear friend.  Though any of us can leave this life at any time, I am now at a stage of life where parents are entering their eternal rest, having lived full lives and blessed many along the way, even as others pass unexpectedly as an sudden or unobserved malady leads to their earthly demise.  This eventuality of death awaits us all, and marches on with mechanical coldness and unrelenting certainty. Nevertheless, my faith gives me the hope of eternal life and the resurrection of the just, but one must somehow deal with the eventuality of death.

Considering this inconvenient truth, we are often tempted to be philosophical.  That is not my purpose of writing on this day.  Hebrews 3:13 exhorts us to, "But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called 'Today,' so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."  "Encourage one another day after day."  Let me encourage each of you to take the time to reach out and encourage someone who's been on your mind - today! Make the phone call. Send the text.  Drop by and treat a friend for lunch.  Give that buddy a hug!  "Life is hard and then you die" or so the saying goes!  That gives each of us a perfect excuse to take the time to encourage a friend - now!  If they're on your mind, let them know.  If you feel the need to connect, what's stopping you?  If they don't pick up, leave a message - not just your name and number - a message!  Tell them you were thinking about them.  Tell them you love them. Tell them you're there for them!

I doubt that I'll be the last one standing of my generation.  Nevertheless, while I'm breathing, the world in which I live and my friends who live in it, deserve my best!  They need to hear my voice, see my messages, and receive my encouragement.  It may not cure what ails them, but just maybe in will stir them up as they fight the good fight!

Be a friend!  Encourage others!  Use you voice and your gifts to be a blessing.  Work to bless others while you can!  The time to enter a long, long rest will come soon enough - for each of us!


See you along the trail of encouragement!

Your Friend,

Sam



No comments: